Vision for Coaching
As Skate Canada Professional Coaches we believe coaching is a privilege earned through our commitment to:
- Competently and professionally serving the athlete as a role model, teacher, coach, athlete manager, and strategist.
- Developing well-rounded individuals and creating a positive and safe sport environment that will promote: physical development and well-being, mental development and positive self image, social skills development, creativity and artistic development, discipline, self-reliance and independence, and principles of fair play and good sportsmanship.
- Providing quality service to and being accountable to the athletes, parents, clubs and schools, community, and Skate Canada by ensuring program delivery standards are being followed
- Sharing knowledge with athletes, parents, coaching peers, clubs and schools, volunteers and Skate Canada while working together to provide the best skating programs possible.
- Actively engaging in professional development and seeking opportunities to give back to the sport wherever possible through volunteering.
- Maintaining an open-mind and positive attitude towards new ideas and change.
- Supporting the 2014-2018 Skate Canada Strategic Plan.
- Staying up to date and compliant with Skate Canada and ISU rules, regulations and policies.
Key Messages for Coaches 2016-2017
These messages were approved by the Coaching Development Committee to help guide coaches for the 2016-2017 skating season.
- Ensure you are a registered Skate Canada Professional Coach, in good standing.
- Continue to adapt and embrace new skating and coaching programming
- Educate yourself and complete the appropriate training regarding the STAR 1-5 Program
- Continue to educate and achieve excellence in Skate Canada’s National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP).
- Model, encourage and support ethical coaching behavior; become familiar and support the Responsible Coaching Movement.
- Continue to manage your athletes effectively, challenging their potential with their best interest in mind.
- Share information and embrace a team coaching approach.
This Vision for Coaching and Key Messages was established by the Advisory Coaching Committee (ACC) in September 2000 and was revised and approved by the Coaching Development Committee in July 2016.