- Candidates must be a Skate Canada registrant
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must have passed at least one complete Jr. Bronze STARSkate test*
*If you do not meet the requirement please contact your Section Course Administrator for further details on how to take the CanSkate Coach course.
Requirements for an “In-training” CanSkate Coach status:
- Successfully complete the CanSkate Coach Pre-Course Training Module. Complete within approximately 60 days of the CanSkate Coach course.
- Attend the three day CanSkate Coach course including:
- Successfully pass the on-ice assessment
- Successfully complete all in-class assignments
*In-training CanSkate Coaches are qualified to coach CanSkate, however they MUST register as a Skate Canada Coach before they begin coaching.
ATTENTION! An In-training CanSkate Coach is recommended to complete the CanSkate Trained Portfolio within ONE YEAR of achieving an In-Training status.
Requirements for a “Trained” CanSkate Coach status:
- Must be a registered Skate Canada Coach
- Successfully complete the CanSkate Trained Evaluation Portfolio which includes:
- Submission of two technical video lessons at the CanSkate level
ATTENTION! A Trained CanSkate Coach is recommended to complete the CanSkate Certified Portfolio or continue in the NCCP to Primary STARSkate Coach within TWO YEARS of achieving an In-training status.
Coaches have the option to bypass the CanSkate Coach certification to continue in the NCCP to the Primary STARSkate training. A coach who chooses this option must intend to certify as Primary STARSkate coach within the required deadlines.
Requirements for “Certified” CanSkate Coach status:
- Successfully complete the CanSkate Coach Certified Evaluation Portfolio which includes:
- CanSkate Program Analysis
- Video analysis of the coach’s CanSkate program in action.
- Emergency Action Plan
Coaches MUST be CanSkate Coach Certified or Primary STARSkate Coach Trained within
three years of achieving an In-Training status. No extensions will be given.
- In-training CanSkate Coach (Pre-course training module + CanSkate Coach course + In class assignments) *must register as a Skate Canada Coach
- Trained CanSkate Coach (In-training status + CanSkate Trained Evaluation Portfolio)
- Certified CanSkate Coach (Trained status + CanSkate Certified Evaluation Portfolio)
Please note: A CanSkate coach who has achieved an In-Training, Trained or Certified status is qualified to teach only CanSkate skills on a club’s CanSkate session.
For course information details, please contact your Section Course Administrator.