1.0 MARKING SINGLES ONE-BY-ONE EVENTS
1.1 MARKING OF THE FREE DANCE
In marking the Free Dance, two marks must be awarded on a scale of 0–6. Decimals to one place are permitted as further intermediate values. The points listed below must be considered in establishing the Base Marks for Technical Merit and Presentation.
- TECHNICAL MERIT: The first mark is for Technical Merit. In marking Technical Merit, the following must be considered:
- Difficulty and variety of steps, turns and movements, in accordance with the rules.
- Cleanness and sureness.
- Skating on edges with depth and flow (and coverage of ice).
- Predominance of dance movements and holds which do not include pair skating moves.
- Inclusion of required and specified elements.
- PRESENTATION: The second mark is for Presentation. In marking Presentation, the following must be considered:
- Music is appropriate and in accordance with the rules.
- Timing is correct and movements are in rhythm with the music chosen. Skating out of time or out of phase with the music must be penalized by the judges.
- Interpretation is expressive of the chosen rhythms.
- Style and unison.
- Choreography is harmonious throughout the program, and clearly reflects the character, accents and nuances of the chosen music, demonstrates change of pace and variations in speed and tempo, and utilizes the whole ice surface.
1.2 DEDUCTIONS FOR THE FREE DANCE
Marks must be deducted by the judges for violations of the Rules as follows:
- UNDER TECHNICAL MERIT:
- VIOLATION OF REQUIRED TECHNICAL ELEMENTS: 0.1-0.4
- VIOLATIONS OF TECHNICAL RESTRICTIONS (other than Required Technical Elements above): 0.1 per violation
- OVERALL PREDOMINANCE OF PAIR SKATING MOVES AND / OR POSITIONS: 0.1 - 0.4
- UNDER PRESENTATION:
- INCORRECT MUSIC: 0.1 - 0.5
- INCORRECT TIMING: 0.1 - 1.0 (maximum for whole performance out of time)
- SKATING ON “WEAK BEAT”: 0.1 - 0.5 (maximum for whole performance on weak beat)
- INCORRECT INTERPRETATION: 0.1 - 0.4
- POOR STYLE AND UNISON: 0.1 - 0.4
- UNSUITABLE CHOREOGRAPHY: 0.1 - 0.4
- INAPPROPRIATE CLOTHING: 0.1